Friday, November 7, 2008

Book Review: The Mistress's Daughter


First a confession: I picked this book because I really liked the cover. The eyes of the girl on the cover spoke to me. So I grabbed it at Target and took it home to read. The Mistress's Daughter: A memoir by A.M. Homes. I didn't get pulled into the book quickly, but I did find it thought provoking and made me think about about my life. In the book Homes tells her account of when she found out that her birth mother was trying to contact her. This leads to rather interesting and unsettling knowledge about her birth parents and causes Homes to search out more information about her family--both her biological and her adoptive families. As I was reading this I couldn't help but thing about my family situation. Though not adopted, I do not feel like I am a part of my biological family--I am so different and no one seems to know what to do with me . So this has led to lots of long nights thinking about the nature of my family and where I fit into it--or probably more importantly, if there is even such a place that exists. So, the book really got me thinking, which means it was good for me in this context.

No comments: